Saturday, March 31, 2012

Easter Crafts for the First Graders

I love tying together crafts and learning. I was subbing in a first grade classroom for almost 2 weeks and decided I would throw in some crafts as classroom rewards for good behavior.

The first craft was a bunny topper for a writing piece. I read the story "It's Not Easy Being a Bunny" aloud, charted some commentary from our whole class discussion, and had the kids partner talk. They chose from two prompts: 'It's not easy being a bunny,...' and 'If I were a bunny...'. The kiddos then wrote a rough draft and conferred with a partner. When they were ready they received the materials for the craft.



















I originally created these bunny toppers after being inspired by the Leaping Leprechaun toppers made by A Cupcake For the Teacher. Then after painstakingly hand drawing my bunny patterns, I saw that she uploaded her own bunny craftivity. It is called Bunny Hop and you can buy it in her TpT store if you like the idea.  She is one creative teacher, I love following her blog.

The other craft we did was a stained glass Easter egg using contact paper, construction paper, tissue paper and glue. They turned out so awesome! To sprinkle in some learning, we reviewed patterns, charted the different kinds, then demonstrated how each row of our Easter Eggs could be a different pattern using the tissue squares. Some kids latched onto this idea more than others. I loved them all anyway!



















You can find the instructions for this stained glass Easter egg project here.

Happy Easter, friends!

4 comments:

  1. Very cute Easter crafts! Makes the window look so cute!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those bunnies! Your eggs are adorable too! =)

    I am your newest follower and would love for you to visit me when you get the chance.

    We painted eggs with corn syrup. I would love for you to come check them out...they are so cute!


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I stopped by your page and became a follower. Your Easter egg craft with corn syrup was so creative, I'll definitely have to try that next year! :)

      Delete